The Twitter Unfollow Tool
Regularly unfollowing users on Twitter is essential for keeping your feed relevant, maintaining your reputation, staying within Twitter’s limits, and keeping a healthy follower/following ratio.
The Twitter Unfollow tool from SU Social is here to make your life easier by taking care of the unfollowing process on your behalf. The Unfollow tool can effectively handle the task for you, whether you’ve reached your maximum followings or simply want to maintain a balanced ratio of total followers to followings for added credibility.
Navigating to the Unfollow tool
Similar to the Follow tool, the Unfollow tool can be accessed by going to the TOOLS view, clicking on your account there, and then going directly to the Unfollow tool tab. This tool does not have additional tabs and it directly shows you the tool’s settings.
- Here is where you’ll specify Su Social to check how many days should have passed since the user was followed before they can be unfollowed.
- This section enables you to specify a delay before the next unfollow operation is initiated.
- This allows you to set the number of users to follow on each operation and the delay between the unfollow per user.
- Here is where you specify the specific time frame for the tool to execute the unfollow actions.
- After X-Y operations, you can check this option to add a random sleep time.
- You can let the tool know which specific days of the week should it run for.
The days you chose for the Unfollow tool to operate can be randomly rearranged each week by choosing the Rotate Days option. For instance, the tool will select a different set of three days for the following week if you chose Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If you don’t want to unfollow users on weekends, you can also choose to exclude them from the rotation.
💡 There is no estimated value of how many unfollows per hour and per day will be made with your Run Timer settings but there is a counter for how many users were unfollowed in total.
- You can do this to set a daily cap for the Unfollow tool, and when it is reached, it will automatically stop following until the next day. You can also set the daily cap to rise steadily until it reaches your daily target; this feature may be helpful for users who want to warm up their accounts but remember to use this gradually.
- With this option, you can set an hourly cap; it functions similarly to a daily cap.
- With this option, you can instruct Su Social to alternate between the Twitter Follow and Unfollow tools in accordance with certain criteria. You need to check the option in both tools, then you start only one of them and Su Social will keep switching between the tool when needed according to your conditions on the option.
- Do not unfollow followers – use this option if you want to avoid unfollowing those who have followed you back.
- User has a follow ratio (followers/following) greater than / User has a follow ratio (followers/following) smaller than – Following users based on their follow ratio can be achieved by utilizing these 2 filters. This technique proves to be beneficial when aiming to follow active accounts. The follow ratio is calculated by dividing the number of followers an account has by the number of people they follow. For instance, if Account A has 2000 followers and follows 4000 accounts, the follow ratio would be computed as 2000/4000 = 0.5, resulting in a follow ratio of 0.5 for Account A.
- User has a number of followers/followings in a specific range – This will help you unfollow users that have a range of followers/followings.
- Use whitelist – You can use this option to inform Su Social that the listed users should not be unfollowed.
- Do not unfollow active accounts – Use this option to avoid unfollowing users who have recent tweets posted in the last x days.
There is only one item here which is to suspend the unfollow tool for x – y minutes when it gets a temporary block error.
No Results tab?
There is no Results tab for the Unfollow tool but you may check the items under the Follow > Results tab and see if the Unfollowed Column displays a Yes.
Unfollowing users followed outside Su Social
On the Results tab, there’s an option to Import people you’ve followed manually. You need to import them since Su Social only keeps track of those it followed and it cannot see those whom you’ve followed manually. Just like when extracting users, there’s a scroll time indicated, this will determine how long will Su Social scroll on your followings page. Then the Set the date for the extracted user to X days ago option does not have something to do with getting more users. This is just a value used to identify the extracted items.
From the sample below, you’ll notice that the manual extractions made have FOLLOWING_30 as a keyword and it’s a signifier that they are set as if they were followed 30 days ago. Hence, you need to set the Unfollow tool to unfollow users after a minimum of 29 – 29 days for these users with the FOLLOWING_30 keyword to be unfollowed.
💡 To extract older followings, you need to increase the scroll time (which is by default at 300 seconds or 5 minutes). We really won’t advise you to further increase this as social platforms take it as a sign of automation when there is prolonged scrolling performed on a certain page, and it will either stop giving out results or it will end with a timeout error. We’d like to add as well that social platforms also limit the number of followers/followings shown so you can’t get all older followings in just a single extraction.
What you can do is make sure all users with the keyword FOLLOWING_30 get unfollowed first. Now if there are no more users to be unfollowed with that keyword, you can run another extraction to get the older followers. It’s also best to stop using the Follow and Follow Back tools if you want to focus first on unfollowing older users since following new users will make it harder to reach the older users on the followers list.
For users of social media who have reached their following limit or want to keep a healthy balance between followers and followings, SU Social’s Twitter Unfollow tool provides a solution. The tool gives users total control over the unfollowing process whether they want to manage their total followings or maintain a balanced ratio for increased credibility.